Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Gravy From and For the Pot Roast

1. Add oil (I used canola) to large skillet to generously cover the bottom. I use a large skillet because we like our gravy around here, so I'd guesstimate that I used 1/4 to 1/2 cup of oil. Heat over medium-high heat.

2. When the oil is hot (don't let it get too hot!), start adding self-rising flour, 1/4 cup at a time. Whisk the flour into the oil, adding additional flour until the mixture is a little "pasty" but not too thick. I used about 3/4 cup for the amount of oil I used. Continue whisking until flour is lightly browned.

3. TURN THE HEAT DOWN TO LOW!

4. Ladle some of the broth from the pot roast directly - but gently - into the pan. You could strain it, but I don't. Stand back...those popping bubbles in the gravy are hot! Continue whisking and adding additional broth until the gravy is the desired consistency. Turn off the burner. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir well.

Serve over the roast and veggies, or over rice...or both!

I tried really hard to upload pics of the step by step, but my computer will not cooperate. I will try again later.

No comments:

Post a Comment