Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Homemade Applesauce


Recipe:

3 pounds apples - peeled, cored and cut into chunks (I used a combination of sweet and tart apples)
water to just cover apples in pan
1/2 - 1 cup white sugar, depending on your taste *
1 tablespoon of lemon juice (I was out of lemon juice, so I just squeezed a little juice from a fresh lime over it)
Cinnamon (optional and to taste)

Place prepared apples in a large saucepan and just barely cover with water. Simmer over medium-low heat until apples are tender, 15-20 minutes. Strain and return to saucepan (but not on burner). Mash with potato masher (or you can use a blender). Add sugar and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat for an additional 3-5 minutes.

*I started with half a cup of sugar. Because I used tart apples, it wasn't quite enough so I added another 1/4 cup sugar. If I hadn't used the tart ones, 1/2 cup would have been plenty. I think a whole cup would be awfully sweet, but hey, if you like it that way, have at it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment