Search This Blog

Friday, January 15, 2010

Hearty Black Bean Soup...Lynne's Version

Original Recipe (from Taste of Home)

3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (30 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) chicken or vegetable broth
1 can (15 oz) crushed tomatoes
1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I omitted)

I ADDED/CHANGED THE FOLLOWING: 1 pound browned ground beef; 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained; 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained, an additional 1/2 teaspoon chili powder

In a 3-quart slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until vegetables are tender. (I think I cooked my about 7 hours or so and the veggies were done.)

Serve over hot cooked rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment